Did you know?
- The Secretary of Defense Caspar W. Weinberger in l986 designated each April as “The Month of the Military Child”.
- The month’s purpose is to recognize the contribution that the military child makes as their parent or parents serve our nation.
- Purple is the color that symbolizes all branches of the military, as it is a combination of Army green, Marine red, and Coast Guard, Air Force, and Navy blue
- The Bossier community is home to over 2,000 military children ages 4-18
- The life of a military child is filled with unique challenges such as parent deployments and reintegration and frequent moves
How can you help?
- Offer special discounts throughout the month for military children – i.e., a restaurant could offer “Military Child Mondays”: Mondays in April all military children receive a few ice cream cone with their meal.
- Donate gift cards and other door prizes to be given out to military children at the April 6th Military Kids Fest.
- Bossier Parish has designated April 2019 as our official local Purple Up Day.
- Display supportive statements such as “We Support Military Kids” or “Purple Up for Military Kids” on your business marquee
- Encourage employees to “Purple Up” by having a casual day and wearing purple shirts
- Contact Kattie Hollay, Military Relations Liaison for the Bossier Chamber of Commerce, at 746-0252 or email@example.com for more information or to offer your assistance during the Month of the Military Child.
- Contact Georgette Price, Military Student Transition Consultant of Bossier Parish Schools, at 549-6164 or firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about other ways you can support the military children of Northwest Louisiana.